Dr Johny Kannampilly is consultant diabetologist and head of the Department of Diabetology in VPS Lakeshore Hospital. Dr Johny was trained in diabetes at W.H.O centre Zagreb, Europe. He is the first doctor from Kerala state to be trained and specialized in Podiatry (Diabetic Foot). He was also trained at Kings College London under Prof. Mike Edmonds who is world famous in diabetic foot care. He was the first person to install Insulin pump in India, in the year 2003. He was the first rank holder in the advanced postgraduate course in diabetology at WHO centre for diabetology at Zagreb Europe. He is also the recipient of Gunness World Record in the podiatry.
1. Presented a paper on Rupture of Sinus of Valsava for Cochin Clinical Society and was awarded the best paper
2. Presented a paper on prevalence of Metabolic Syndrome in Type 2. Diabetic patients at Annual Conference of Endocrinology Society of India at Chennai – 2000
3. Presented a paper on prevalence of silent Myocardial Ischemia in Type 2 Diabetic at Annual Conference of Endocrinology Society of India at Chennai – 2000
4. Presented a paper on early detection of Osteomylitis in Diabetic Foot Ulcer by Nuclear Imaging at National Diabetic Foot Society of India – 2001, Bangalore.
5. Presented a paper on over Diabetic Foot Education System (SAVE) at National Diabetic Foot Society of India 2001, Bangalore.
6. Presented a paper on Role of Nuclear Imaging in Diabetic Foot Management at RSSDI Conference Chandigarh – 2001.
7. Presented a paper on Indigenous VAC Therapy in Diabetic foot Society of India (DFSI) on 2007 Chennai
8. Presented three papers on Diabetic foot Society of India (DFSI) on 2008 Calcutta
• Can Ankle Brachial Index (ABI) assessment predict severity of Coronary Artery Disease (CAD) in diabetic foot patients and whether a normal ABI can rule out the risk of CAD in diabetic subjects.
• Retrospective Analysis of Charcot Foot and its relationship to peripheral neuropathy and peripheral vascular disease.
• Comparison of the effectiveness of Biothesiometer over Monofilament in detecting early diabetic neuropathy
9. Presented two papers on Diabetic foot Society of India (DFSI) on 2009 November and was awarded the best paper
• Relationship between recurrent skin infections and nasal carriage of Staphylococcus aureus in Diabetic Patients and effectiveness of rifampicin treatment in recurrent antibiotic treated
skin infections (Furunculosis) : A Prospective Cohort Pilot Study
• Case report of two rare causes of toe gangrene in diabetic patients due to protein S deficiency & Calciphylaxis.
10. Presented poster on Role of Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion (Insulin Pump) in Reducing Blood Glucose in 4 Patients with Type 2 Diabetes and Cirrhosis at 4th International Conference on Advanced Technologies & Treatments for Diabetes (ATTD) – London 2011.
1. Talk on Metabolic Syndrome at IMA Muvattupuzha
2. A talk on Thyroid Antibodies at Thyroid Symposium at Amrita Institute, Kochi
3. A talk on recent advances in the management of Diabetic Foot at
a. Indian Medical Association, Muvattupuzha, Thodupuzha
b. Indian Medical Association, Aluva, Angamaly, Perumbavoor, Parur
c. Physicians Forum Cochin & Kannur
d. Diabetologist Meet at Bangalore
e. Diabetologist Meet at Zagreb, Europe.
f. Physicians Forum at Malabar Institute of Medical Sciences.
4. Organized All Kerala Foot Workshop at Amrita Institute, Kochi and delivered talks and demonstrations.
5. Annual conference of Diabetic foot Society of India 2002 talk on classifications and its clinical use in Diabetic Foot.
6. Talk on diabetes and pregnancy at gynecologist meet Angamaly.
7. Talk on diagnosis and screening of Gestational diabetes at Calicut meet.
8. Talk on Insulin Pump Therapy at RSSDI 2012,Chennai.
9. Talk on Setting Up A Diabetic Foot clinic at DFSI 2012,Hyderabad
Awarded Fellow of Academy of General Education Manipal (FAGE)
1. American Diabetic Association
2. International Diabetic Federation.
3. Founder Member of National Diabetic Foot Society of India
4. Kochi Diabetic Club
5. Faculty member- RSSDI (Research Society for Study of Diabetes in India)
6. Vice President – Diabetic Foot Society of India (DFSI)
7. Obesity Society – USA
8. Association of Bariatric Physician – USA
9. Regional Faculty for Evidence based Diabetes management course by Public Health Foundation of India.
In the field of Diabetes, Diabetic Foot and Islet Cell Transplantation.
1. A phase IV multinational, multicenter, post-authorization, prospective observational cohort study to assess the profile of Vildagliptin and the fixed-dose combination of Vildagliptin/metformin relative to comparator oral anti-diabetic drugs in patients with type 2 diabetes in a real-world setting.
2. A Phase III Multicenter, randomized, double-blind, parallel group, placebo controlled study to evaluate the potential of aleglitazar to reduce cardiovascular risk in patients with a recent acute coronary syndrome (ACS) event and type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2D).
3. A phase I/II, multicentre, randomized, controlled, and open-label trial comparing the efficacy and safety of two dose regimens of Biochaperone PDGF-BB to becaplermin gel for the
treatment of diabetic foot ulcer.
4. Effect on glycemic control of once daily administration of liraglutide in combination with metformin versus glimepiride in combination with metformin in subjects with type 2 diabetes.A Phase III 16-week randomized, double-blind, double-dummy, active control, 4-armed,parallel group, multi-centre, multi-national trial.
INTERNATIONAL AND NATIONAL CONFERENCES ATTENDED
1. International Endocrinology Conference Coimbatore – 1998
2. World Alzheimer’s conference – 1998, Kochi
3. Annual Endocrinology Conference – 2000, Chennai
4. Mayo International Diabetes Conference 2001, Kochi
5. RSSDI Diabetes National Conference – 2001, Chandigarh.
6. Annual Conference on Diabetic Foot at Royal College of Physicians. London – 2002
7. RSSDI Diabetes National conference – 2002, Kochi
8. Annual Conference of Diabetic Foot society of India – 2002, Bangalore
9. Annual Conference of Diabetic Foot Society of India – 2003, Pune
10. Harward Obesity Conference -2006
11. Annual Conference of Diabetic Foot Society of India – 2007, Chennai
12. Annual Conference of Diabetic Foot Society of India – 2008, Calcutta
13. Annual Conference of Diabetic Foot Society of India – 2009, New Delhi
14. Annual Conference of Diabetic Foot Society of India – 2010, Bangalore
15. RSSDI Diabetes National conference – 2010, Kochi
16. 4th International Conference on Advanced Technologies & Treatments for Diabetes (ATTD) – London 2011.
17. European Association for the study of diabetes – Stockholm,Swedon 2010
18. Association of Bariatric Physician Conference Santamonica
19. Obesity Society conference New Orleans America
20. RSSDI Diabetes National conference – 2011, Mumbai
21. Annual Conference of Diabetic Foot Society of India – 2011, Ahmedabad
22. 47th EASD Annual Meeting 2011-Lisbon,Portugal
23. RSSDI Diabetes National conference – 2012, Chennai
24. Annual Conference of Diabetic Foot Society of India-2012,Hyderabhad
25. 48th EASD Annual meeting 2012-Berlin,Germany
1. Indian Medical Association symposium on Diabetes
2. All Kerala Diabetic Foot workshops at Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi
3. Annual Conference of Diabetic Foot society of India 2002.
4. Diabetes update for physician of Karnataka state at Bangalore
5. Diabetes update for Physician of Tamilnadu state at Kodaikanal
6. Diabetes and pregnancy symposium Calicut 2003.
7. Insulin Pump and Diabetic Foot Talk – Research Society for Study of Diabetes in India 2010 at Cochin.
8. Judge for the Research Paper Session – Annual Conference of Diabetic Foot society of India 2010.
9. Hypes and hopes of Diabetic Management of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, Kochi 2012
TOPICS PRESENTED AT VARIOUS CONFERENCES:
1. VAC Therapy and Diabetic Neuropathy – Annual Conference of Diabetic Foot society of India 2010
2. Vildagliptin and Lifestyle Modification – Research Society for Study of Diabetes in India 2010 at Cochin
3. Diagnosis and treatment of Charcot foot – Annual conference of Diabetic Foot Society Calcutta 2008
T.V AND NEWSPAPER
1. Article on Ramadan and Diabetes in leading Malayalam Newspaper Malayala Manorama
2. Article on life style modification to control Diabetes in leading English News paper Indian Express
3. Interviewed Diabetes for Doordarshan national Channel.
4. Interviewed on Diabetes for Jeevan T.V. Channel
5. Interviewed on Diabetic Foot for Doordarshan National channel
6. Interviewed on Diabetic Foot for Jeevan T.V Channel
7. Interviewed on World Diabetes Day 2003 by India Vision Channel
8. Article on Insulin Pump in the WEEK MAGAZINE dated 30th Dec 2012
9. Interviewed on Diabetic Foot & its complications for Reporter T V channel in 2012
10. Interviewed on Diabetic Foot & its complications for Kairali T V channel in 2012
11. Interviewed on Diabetic Foot & its complications for Asianet T V channel in 2012
1. Regular Medial Services at Old Age Home for destitute run by Helpage India
2. Diabetic camps in various Rural area of Kerala in association with ADWA
3. Diabetic and Eye camps in association with Rotary International
4. Save Diabetic Foot camp in association with Rotary International
5. Started first Juvenile Diabetes Foundation in Kerala State for the welfare of Diabetic children and donated free glucometer and Insulin for poor children